Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a beautiful death.

to die to live.

a curious concept. deny yourself. take up your cross. follow me.  Jesus' request is that we die up front, because only then can we truly live. someone who is dead worries about nothing. one who has no life does not have thoughts about food, clothing, lodging, or relationships. there is nothing to clutter the mind, alter the focus, or sway the heart. to die is the ultimate freedom. death is a picture of absolute finality.

abundant life is found only when all else fades in importance to Christ. He came that we might have life, and then promptly asked us to die. in His knowledge of humanity, He understood something about us that I believe few truly grasp, and that is the peace and unexplainable joy that comes from dying to ourselves. He knew that to die, was to experience life.  

"oh to behold the glory of Christ. here i live, and here i will die. here i will dwell and my thoughts and my affections, until all things here below become as dead, and are no longer calling out for my affection and embrace."  (john owen)

"how sweet all at once it is for me to be rid of those fruitless joys which i had once feared to lose.  you drove them from me, you who are the true and sovereign joy, you drove them from me and took their place, you who are sweeter than all pleasure."  (augustine) 

to die to live.

the concept is simple really. it comes down to possessing nothing but Christ. finding Him as the source of all pleasure, and all delight. realizing this world is not my home, and with that realization, finding no thing of significance or worth inside it more enjoyable or more satisfying that Him. it is the overwhelming urge to see His face, and the knowledge that death is the only door by which this is possible. so death is sweet. gain i think paul called it. 

i've found Him. and i have found everything. He is my treasure. this world and all that it holds cannot compare to what i have found in His presence. He has the entirety of my heart, the focus of my mind, and the deepest corners of my soul. i will live every minute for His purpose and His glory. i cannot wait to see Him.  i am willing to suffer for His sake, or even to die. 

for i already have. 



"...whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."  matthew 16:25

No comments: